Monday, May 27, 2013

Hike #1: Gully Creek Trail (Cumberland Knob)

I've biked, ran, walked, ruck-marched, and propelled myself at various paces with various things on my back in various parts of the world--but I like hiking the most. For me, a good hike is not determined by length, difficulty, or scenery (or what I call "payoff").  A good hike is any hike that you enjoy.

On this blog, I will share an overview of trails that I've hiked on or near the Blue Ridge Parkway (and I am open to suggestions).  Each overview will address length, difficulty, scenery, and overall worthiness of your time (or mine, at least).  I also want to share some pictures and give you some considerations that will help you decide if this hike is for you.  I'm not a survival expert but I've watched one on TV.  Seriously, though, I have some relevant U.S. Army survival training and have been hiking on and around the BRP for most of my 38 years.

When selecting a trail to be my test case for this endeavor, I decided that it might as well be the one that I've hiked the most.  This would be the Gully Creek trail at Cumberland Knob (milepost 217.5).

Location: This park is just off of NC Highway 18 near the North Carolina/Virginia state line.  It is 22 miles from my hometown of Mount Airy, NC, one hour from Winston-Salem, NC, and nearly two hours from Charlotte, NC.



Length: The trail is listed as 2.5 miles but my GPS-aided fitness app marked it at 2.15.  Another sign (seen below) lists it as a "2-hour walk." I've walked this trail at least 25 times and it has never taken two hours.  I suppose if you stopped for a lot of pictures along the creek or took a lot of rest breaks it could take this long.  My last trip was around an hour and ten minutes, which included a few water breaks on the way up. My best time, running roughly half the way, was between 40 and 45 minutes.


Difficulty: The first thing that the casual hiker should know is that starting to the right (counterclockwise) is considerably easier than starting to the left (clockwise).  It is listed as a "strenuous trail." I would consider it strenuous clockwise but moderately strenuous counterclockwise. That being said, I've met several "senior" hikers on the trail heading in either direction.  Small children will likely struggle in either direction. Below is the trail map (note the pauses on the uphill slope):


The first half mile (counterclockwise) is pleasant and gently downhill.  Most of the 556 feet descent occurs between the half mile and mile mark (as seen in the top chart below).

After you reach Gully Creek (at 1.2 miles counterclockwise), you begin to gain elevation as you walk upstream. Along the way, you cross the creek a total of eight times.  The crossings are not terribly difficult but, depending on the level of the creek, can be tricky.  I've fallen in the water a few times in the past, especially when attempting to run the trail.  It is not very deep but it does tend to make the rest of the hike less pleasant.  The banks of the creek are muddy and footing is occasionally unsure. Your pace will slow during this one-third of a mile from roughly a 20-minute mile to a 40-minute mile due to the creek crossings and uneven terrain.

On the way back up, there are quite a few switchbacks which make the altitude gain more tolerable.  The average hiker can expect about a 30-minute mile pace on the ascent.  I used to do the trail clockwise and run down this section but found out it just wasn't worth it (although it's an easy run).

Scenery: On the plus side, Gully Creek provides the best scenery on the entire trail.  The sound of crashing water is impressive for the size of the creek.  Views from the top (even if you take the spur to the actual knob) are disappointing because they are obstructed by vegetation.  There is, however, an impressive vista of Surry County, North Carolina from an overlook just south of the park entrance.

Gully Creek

View of Surry County, NC

Recommendations: I would advise you to take the counterclockwise route and to pack a camera, as you will want to take some photos of Gully Creek.  Although the trail is fairly well-traveled, I would recommend a whistle or some form of audio signalling device just in case you turn an ankle or experience any other injury (which is most likely to occur along the creek--at the furthest point from the parking lot).

For those not looking for a strenuous hike, an alternative route is to head out to the right (clockwise) down to Gully Creek, cross it a few times (the third crossing is the only one with a bridge), and then return the way you came.  This would be a little under two miles but would still be a decent hike.  For those with pets, it makes sense to take this route, as the trail is wider and less strenuous.

Packing List:
  • Two liters of water minimum (one for during and one for after)
  • Audio signaling device (whistle)
  • Camera
  • Extra shoes and socks (your hiking shoes will get dirty and/or wet along the creek)

Overall: I would say that the Gully Creek trail is a worthwhile hike for those in moderate to above average physical condition. The drawbacks are that the park opens late (mid-May) and the park office has been closed for years now.  There are, however, operational and clean restrooms and picnic facilities. I've never spotted much in the way of wildlife on the trail but I have seen a herd of deer and a flock of wild turkeys near the park entrance.  On the whole, an afternoon at Cumberland Knob is an afternoon well-spent.  I'd give the Gully Creek trail an overall rating of 3.5 (of 5).

Please leave a comment if you have anything to add on this trail or have any questions/suggestions.

Happy Hiking!

Chris
(aka: BRP Hiker)

1 comment:

  1. Hello! Just wanted to say thanks for posting this informative and detailed trail review. I was on this trail earlier today and wanted to find more info about it. This post was very helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete